Saturday, February 7, 2015

Twisted Reflections by Shay West

22694543Title: Twisted Reflections (Adventures of Alexis Davenport, #2)
Author: Shay West
Publisher: Booktrope Editions
Publication date: July 24, 2014
Pages: 190
Rating: 3/5 stars 

Purchase: Amazon 
Alexis Davenport is learning to come to grips with her ability to travel through time, but she still hasn’t been able to stop the evil Drifter and his Master from trying to alter the past.

When she travels back to ancient Egypt, Alex gets a most unexpected surprise; she meets someone who can help her figure out how to use her powers, another Traveler like herself.

But can Alex learn how to control her gift before Drifter finds a way to stop her from meddling in his Master’s plans?

I decided to push through with this series because I absolutely enjoyed the first book, Dangerous Reflections. So thank you for sending me an e-copy of the second book, Booktrope!

You could say I had pretty high expectations when I started Twisted Reflections. Having been left with the gripping story of a fifteen-year-old girl and her time-traveling adventures, I craved for more thrilling escapades with Alex. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed with this book. 

Like Dangerous Reflections, the second book in this series maintains its easy-read feel, while keeping its vivid descriptions, as a great narration of the story is essential to the book. I had no problem with how time travel was illustrated; the different settings were described wonderfully, as if I really were at those times in history. The writing did not exceed its tone. 

What bothered me was the convenience that seemed to surround Alex. As stated in the blurb, she meets another Traveler, but it all went too fast after that. I would have preferred to see conflict between them, not an instant understanding between people with the same gift. This Traveler seemed to have all of the answers to Alex's problems. After reading that, I expected more thrilling adventures for Alex, but sadly they all remained in a moderately exciting level. 

Also, I understand that Alex is a fifteen-year-old, but she finally crossed the line this time. She can come off as whiny and bratty, but I think character traits should be something a reader can relate to. I was annoyed by her instead. This was why I favored her life when she traveled than her life as herself. I would have wanted to see more of her travels, too.

I am still going to continue this series because I want to know the fate of Alex, especially with Drifter's identity slowly being uncovered. I do hope Desperate Reflections will be much better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment