Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Quick Review: Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

No comments    
categories: ,

I got Divergent as a Christmas present, and it waited on my bookshelf for almost four months until I could read it. When I finished it, I was so blown away, I had to read Insurgent and Allegiant. The books are just so action-packed and exhilarating. 

I would write a lengthy review on each book but Divergent and Insurgent aren't that "fresh" in my mind anymore, if you know what I mean. So this review will be quick, focusing only on my overall thoughts on each book.

Divergent - Divergent is my favorite book in this series. It gave a detailed introduction to this new system of living. I really enjoyed reading about all the factions and how different kinds of people feel towards it. Also, the characters are spicy, meaning they have different sides and don't just act as doers of something to get the plot going. They're as real as the main character, Tris, who became a girl I looked up to in this book. She's brave and selfless and everything a heroine should be. 5/5 STARS.

Insurgent - I'm glad there's action and all, but what I did not quite like in this book was Tris' attitude. I get that she's extremely depressed because she killed Will and her parents are dead, but come on, Tris. I felt bad for Tobias for having to look out for her all the time when they could have come up with a better plan that didn't involve someone becoming a lab rat. Maybe I'm just being too hard on Tris but I quickly got tired of her attitude. BUT Insurgent was very thrilling so I'll give it 3.5/5 STARS.

Allegiant - Allegiant is my 2nd favorite book in the series. We finally get to read from Tobias' point of view (hooray!) and his mind is something I have always wanted to explore. Basically, this book involves a lot of planning and teaming up and attacking. It is filled with twists that make you wonder who really is on the "right" side. I loved the characters in Divergent, and I loved them even more in Allegiant. However, I didn't love the part where Tris dies. Okay, it's the ultimate act of selflessness but did she really have to die? Maybe I'm still recovering from it. I finished reading it only a few hours ago anyway, but still. I feel so bad for Tobias... but death aside, I still enjoyed it: 5/5 STARS.

Read this series if you like dystopian and YA books. Fans of The Hunger Games, Legend, and even The Selection will have a wonderful time reading this. 

If I offended you somehow, I'm really sorry. I'm just posting what I think about the books. This series truly is one of the best that I've read. I'm definitely going to read the "Four Stories" aka "Four: A Short Story Collection" because a part of me wants to read more Tobias.
Have you read the books?

0 comments:

Post a Comment